Table 1 Unique Internet Services
Company and Feature
USAir offers seat sales to select destinations.
Amazon.com sells books.
PeaPod offers Internet grocery shopping and delivery to the home
inquiry.com integrates lead generation efforts by IT companies with information
management requirements of IT customers. Revenue is earned from placing listings and
forwarding qualified leads to vendors.
PointCast provides free access to category-based news and information. Service includes an innovative screen saver display carrying paid advertising.
Quote.com sells access to current news and financial information from multiple sources.
A great way to fill excess capacity. Free to consumers.
Greater selection than bookstores at lower cost.
Likelihood of survival: excellent
Many food products are purchased on impulse and presentation. Non Internet food shopping services
have had limited success.
Likelihood of survival: poor
Services an existing need more effectively than paper based lead generation services. Ideally suited to users of technology. Likelihood of survival: excellent
Advertisers may find a low response rate to advertisements on PointCast. Likelihood of survival: poor
Most consumers are probably satisfied with current
sources for this information. Corporations and serious
investors may have an interest in this up-to-the-minute
information. Likelihood of survival: good
Table 2 Internal intranet Applications
Corporate Policy Manuals
Sales and Marketing
Product and Company Information
Inventory and Price Lists
Investor and Media Relations
Table 3 Ten Reasons Why Websites Fail
1. Lack of strategic planning involving corporate visionaries
2. Emphasis on technology over practicality
3. Website not valued as a strategic asset
4. Control of Website residing in the company’s technology or MIS department(s).
5. Assuming that technology will market itself
6. Use of “bleeding edge” technology limits usefulness & value
7. Emphasis on appearance over functionality
8. Graphic intensive Websites too large for today’s technology
9. Use of existing company literature instead of re-writing for the Internet
10. Lack of accountability for maintaining/updating Website